Connected Data and Sustainability
A Talk by Paraskevi Zerva, Tanya Beck, Abhishek Gupta and James Phare
Montreal AI Ethics Institute and
Connected Data World | Neural Alpha
About this talk
Connected Data & Sustainability:
Climate Change, ocean plastic pollution and the biodiversity crisis are amongst some of the most significant challenges humanity faces over the coming years.
What role does Connected Data play in solving these issues?
Connected Data has a long track record of public good applications. Indeed, one of the primary motivations of the Semantic Web was to facilitate knowledge exchange.
Open source research and biomedical ontologies, open source knowledge graphs (OKGs), Offshore Leaks, Wikidata, DBPedia - the examples of public good applications are innumerable.
How is this role evolving and what opportunities are emerging?
What are the Connected Data roles and skills required by organisations tackling these issues and how can people get involved?
Join us as we explore the interplay between sustainability and connected data technologies, and what it takes to get the best of both worlds
- A brief overview of Connected Data
- Sustainability challenges, and how Connected Data can help
- The future of Sustainability and Connected Data
- Data Scientists
- Data Engineers
- Explore the interplay between sustainability and connected data technologies
- Answer questions that matter
- How can those approaches complement one another, and what would that unlock?
- What is the current state of the art, how and where is it used in the wild?
- What are the next milestones / roadblocks?
- Where are the opportunities for investment?
- Meet and Greet
- Setting the stage
- What is Connected Data?
- A bit of history
- The 4 pillars of Graph Technology
- Graph algorithms & analytics
- Knowledge Graphs
- Graph Databases
- Graph Machine Learning
- Bonus track: Semantic technology
- What kind of problems can we solve by using Connected Data?
- What are some prominent use cases for this technology?
- Sustainability, meet Connected Data
- What are the key Sustainability challenges today?
- Which of those are a good match for Connected Data, and why?
- What are some Sustainability projects you are aware of that use Connected Data?
- Which Connected Data projects do you most admire in the Sustainability space and why?
- Going forward
- What do you see as the most significant computational challenges for Connected Data to solve in sustainability challenges?
- How can Connected Data play a role in decarbonising?
- Are there some sustainability domains that are naturally more suited to connected data applications than others?
- What is the current state of the art?
- What are the major roadblocks / goals, how could we address them, and what would that enable?
- Who are some key players to keep an eye on?
- Extended panel
- Expert discussion, coordinated by moderator
- 2 hours running time
- Running time includes modules of expert discussion, interspersed with modules of audience Q&A / interaction
Beginner - Intermediate
You need an access pass to attend this session: Diversity Access Pass or Full Access Pass apply
Categories covered by this talk
Paraskevi is part of Observability Team at M365 People Experiences working as a Senior Data and Applied Scientist. She is a tech enthusiast about everything data-related including data modelling and architecture, AI and Machine Learning, big data, semantic and graph databases solutions to name a few.
Tanya is passionate about anything where sustainability meets data, technology and innovation. She currently works on www.trase.finance which is a graph-powered open data platform for understanding how the financial industry is exposed and contributing to deforestation.
Abhishek Gupta is the Founder & Principal Researcher at the Montreal AI Ethics Institute, an international non-profit research institute with a mission to democratize AI ethics literacy. He works in Machine Learning & serves on the CSE Responsible AI Board Member at Microsoft where his work helps solve the toughest technical challenges of Microsoft’s biggest customers
James is a long time practitioner in the Connected Data space specialising in financial services and in more recent years in Sustainable Investment software. He is the founder of the Connected Data World conference and leads the sustainable investment software and data consultancy Neural Alpha.
Proudly supported by
Want to sponsor this event? Contact Us.